Thursday 12 March 2015

2013/06/09 Back on it’s feet

In a couple of stints I get the car ready for the summer.
05/19: “The homemade pressure bleeder” does build pressure but it also leaks so brake bleeding requires assistance: the so called “brake bitch” :-D This time I don’t forget to bleed the master and get a better result. The rear brake discs did show some excessive lateral movement so a set of new discs is ordered.

05/26: When making an attempt to get the cv joint from it’s axle the only thing I achieve is breaking the ball cage. F.ck!! Luckily I can score a cheap used one in good condition. Two repair kits are ordered along with two window switches.

06/02: During this weekend I hope to make it to the finish line but after rebuilding the axles I find it difficult to get them back under the shark.

06/09: Last week I’ve seen the light! I will use 2 long bolts to get the axles on their spot. This will help me deal with the dust boot and the grease that makes the job difficult. It proves to work and the only difficulty I face now is securing the bolts to the right torque. I don’t seem to have the shark high enough for the swing of the torque wrench. (remember, size does matter :-) Nonetheless the shark lands back on it’s feet and is taken from the dusty garage into the sunlight so I can fix the windows. 
Left window engine back in, connecting the window switches in a sea of wires, right window engine out, greasing it up and back in. Yes, we have windows that move up and down with the push of a button.

Unfortunately a problem with the door lock has developed but that’ ll have to wait. Next week the car will be put above a grease pit in order to check the axle bolts, mount the rear brake discs and check the transmission oil. In the nearby future an OPC check will be executed in order to get a “guide” for further restoration but first of all we’ll be cruising this summer!







No comments:

Post a Comment