Thursday 2 April 2015

2014/09/28 Last chance.

Since passing vehicle inspection I’d hoped to finally get some milage, unfortunately the shark has a mind of it’s own. I’m stuck with a small leak at the carter plug and I try to solve it. I know there’s a dent at the carter plug opening but on previous oil changes that didn’t cause any problems. Unscrewing the carter plug reveals another problem, there’s some iron coming along with it, the thread is clearly bust. It shouldn’t be to big a problem, tapping new thread will solve the problem but the dedicated fans of my blog will know already that nothing is straightforward. It seems it isn’t the first time thread will be tapped, there’s simply no material left to tap, the plug cannot be tightened. I’m thinking about using a heli-coil but the thread is not the only problem. The small rubber wheel that’s part of the oil level sensor decided to go for a swim and is resting happily on the bottom of the carter. Of course there’s no way to get it out. It becomes evident why the oil level warning light kept lighting up, I’m happy to discover why but I’ve kinda had enough and I’m giving the “body-off” option a serious thought. My “wrenching helping hand” manages to change my mind and give it one more go. Giving up now would be falling off your bike with the finish line in sight or even on the finish line after a mountain stage.
To make it to our happy “swimmer” I have to remove the carter pan. Thirty bolts are keeping it in place and oil proof. There’s 4 (yes four) bolts that are accessible and when you’re done with these, you come the conclusion that the pan doesn’t drop far enough to get it out. The crossmember that supports the engine prevents this from happening so I fear that I’ve gone as far as I can. Some research shows there’s a solution: making you’re own engine support bridge. I’ve found it on Rennlist where it was applied successfully so on saturday I put on my carpenters hat. Constructing the bridge isn’t that hard and as soon as it’s in place I can drop the steering rack. One by one the crossmember bolts are removed until the moment of truth arrives. 
The bridge construction functions and the engine is supported by the bridge, not by the crossmember. I don’t make it to the finish though as the crossmember is still connected to the suspension and I need to figure out why. I’m taking the slow approach, giving it a lot of thought, after all I don’t want to end up flat nosed.

Nonetheless I think the Shark will be supportive this time after I’d warned him that it would be the last chance.











No comments:

Post a Comment