Thursday 2 April 2015

2014/11/01 At last!

I have bad memories about the last time I’d reverse bled the clutch and today another will be added. While I’m underneath the car my “pump helper” engages the clutch, after a couple of pumps the system should be bled. I crawl my way out from underneath the car and just as I’m standing up I’m greeted with a single “Bang”! The infamous Blue Hose has exploded. I’ve had enough, I’m going body off. The clutch master is perhaps to most dreaded job known to shark owners. At this moment I’d like to give the car a sledgehammer treatment, all my efforts seem useless. 
A good night’s rest changes my mind, there’s plenty of reason to carry on. (my next post will make that clear most definitely)
I decide to take on the tank strap job again. I’d forgotten to put some rubber strips on it. The only resistance comes from the , what did U expect, hard to reach bolts but in the end I’m pleased with the result. 

Next up is putting the engine vibration dampers back on (these were forgotten last time too) and then it’s time for the do or die job.




After removing the brake master cylinder it becomes clear how well the clutch master is hidden. A very small part of it is visible under the brake booster.



In the driver’s footwell U can find the bolts that keep the MC in place. After removing the clip between clutch pedal and MC rod and the removal of the two bolts the MC simply falls out. it’s easy to remove but putting it back in has to be done “blind”.
The master doesn’t look good but it functions so I decide to replace the blue hose only.



On friday a first attempt is made. I can get the MC in place and even manage to get two bolts in it. I’d hoped to lock the MC with these two bolts and then get the spacer tubes on their spot taking one bolt out at a time. Unfortunately my great idea doesn’t match reality. 
On saturday after buying longer bolts for the MC, I make a second attempt. This time I succeed converting the idea into reality and relatively easy in fact. Putting the brake master back in is no fun either but compared to the clutch it’s a walk in the park. It’s late in the afternoon when we start to bleed the brakes and clutch again. The brakes are easy and despite of my fears on the clutch, this time this one goes smooth too.
At dark the shark is back on it’s feet and we take it for a spin. After the test-drive I’m not completely satisfied with the hydraulics but we do have a drivable car. During the winter I’ll make improvements but now the time has come for a few road trips.



No comments:

Post a Comment